Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The advantages and disadvantages of unschooling

I am going to take a moment to talk about myself here, which is something that I do not do too often but I feel that doing so will help some of you out right now...

I have gone through various phases of homeschooling my daughter. We started out with doing unit studies that I created. This did well for us for quite a while but I soon got burnt out with everything that I was trying to do, so we started doing various workbooks. Of course, my dd didn't like them 1 bit. So, after figuring out that it really was not worth fighting with her, I slowed down a bit. This is when I met a radical unschooler and started to really understand what unschooling is about. While we are by no means radical unschoolers I have embraced this lifestyle and it works quite well for us. The reason I say that we are not radical is that whenever my dd says she's interested in something, I'll look for worksheets to do about the topic. For instance, she is now interested in sharks and so I've gone to such places as Enchanted Learning and printed out some worksheets for us to work through together.

My point is that I really recommend that you go with the ebb and flow of homeschooling instead of fighting it. You are going to have to spend some time figuring out what method really works for you and your family. If you are thinking about unschooling, like we do, then here is an article that I have written about the advantages and disadvantages of this method. I encourage you to take a look, weigh the advantages with the disadvantages and then decide whether or not this method will work for you and your family. Whatever you decide is great, I just think it's important to think everything through. Good luck!

No comments: